Heart-healthy Blueberry Oat Muffins
You’ve heard this before…ALWAYS eat your breakfast! Studies show people that eat breakfast are thinner, smarter and richer (just kidding about richer) but you get the idea. Just keep it simple & quick to make it easier on yourself. Have yogurt or hard boiled eggs (peel ahead) and my heart-healthy low-fat “Blueberry Oat Muffins.” I do love anything homemade with oats & blueberries for breakfast or a snack and love the fact that these are easy to bake and freeze beautifully. So, give these yummy muffins a try next Sunday. A deliciously low-fat muffin to carry with you, to share and eat anywhere….
Here’s an excellent heart-healthy recipe for our friends & fans and a few more tips below:
Buy some oat flour and whole-wheat flour
Use organic ingredients if you can.
Substitute apple sauce for the oil or butter (sad, I know;) Add heart-healthy nuts: walnuts or almonds (loaded with protein!).
Keep the wet and dry ingredients separate.
When mixing muffins do not over-mix.
Use fresh berries (in season) or frozen (don’t thaw first!) Spray pan with lots of cooking spray. Use an ice cream scoop and fill the top. Sprinkle with cinnamon & brown sugar!
- 2 cups of rolled oats (old fashioned or steel-cut oatmeal)
- 2 cups of low-fat milk
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs or (4 egg whites)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups of whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups Maine blueberries
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
*Variations: Any berries, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, strawberries etc. Dark chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, almonds, or chopped apples…. YUM!
- Pre-heat to 400* F.
- Soak the oats in milk for 1 hour
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk well!
- Add to the oats & milk: apple sauce, 2 eggs or (4 egg whites) vanilla and whisk well.
- Combine both wet & dry ingredients with a BIG spoon, don’t over mix!
- Add (fold in) your frozen blueberries (or fresh) nuts and/ or your variations.
- With an ice cream scoop, fill sprayed pans to the top!
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon & sugar.
- Bake at 400* for 20-25 minute.