You’ve heard this before…ALWAYS eat your breakfast! Studies show people that eat breakfast are thinner, smarter and richer (just kidding about richer) but you get the idea. Just keep it simple & quick to make it easier on yourself. Have yogurt or hard boiled eggs (peel ahead) and my heart-healthy low-fat “Blueberry Oat Muffins.” I do love anything homemade with oats & blueberries for breakfast or a snack and love the fact that these are easy to bake and freeze beautifully. So, give these yummy muffins a try next Sunday. A deliciously low-fat muffin to carry with you, to share and eat anywhere….
Here’s an excellent heart-healthy recipe for our friends & fans and a few more tips below:
Buy some oat flour and whole-wheat flour
Use organic ingredients if you can.
Substitute apple sauce for the oil or butter (sad, I know;) Add heart-healthy nuts: walnuts or almonds (loaded with protein!).
Keep the wet and dry ingredients separate.
When mixing muffins do not over-mix.
Use fresh berries (in season) or frozen (don’t thaw first!) Spray pan with lots of cooking spray. Use an ice cream scoop and fill the top. Sprinkle with cinnamon & brown sugar!
- 2 cups of rolled oats (old fashioned or steel-cut oatmeal)
- 2 cups of low-fat milk
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs or (4 egg whites)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups of whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups Maine blueberries
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
*Variations: Any berries, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, strawberries etc. Dark chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans, almonds, or chopped apples…. YUM!
- Pre-heat to 400* F.
- Soak the oats in milk for 1 hour
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk well!
- Add to the oats & milk: apple sauce, 2 eggs or (4 egg whites) vanilla and whisk well.
- Combine both wet & dry ingredients with a BIG spoon, don’t over mix!
- Add (fold in) your frozen blueberries (or fresh) nuts and/ or your variations.
- With an ice cream scoop, fill sprayed pans to the top!
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon & sugar.
- Bake at 400* for 20-25 minute.