Pumpkin Swirl Cheese Cake
What’s better than pumpkin pie? A fancy pumpkin marbled cheese cake with a crunchy ginger-pecan crust, that’s what. “But is it healthy,” you ask? Of course it is, (you know me), I took out some of the calories! A lovely, luscious cheese cake, just loaded with vitamin A, calcium, antioxidants, and fiber. If this photo doesn’t inspire you, then the scent of cinnamon certainly will. Oh, and this special cheese cake isn’t reserved for the holidays either. Now, you can indulge in this decadent dessert anytime…
P.S. Please go ahead and leave me some comments… I really love reading them!
- 1 1/2 cups crushed ginger-snap cookies.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans.
- 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, or (Smart Balance) melted.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, or low-fat (Neuchâtel) softened.
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided.
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Zest of one lemon (because it tastes good).
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree (or fresh).
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional).
- Whipped cream for topping.
- 1 festive red cherry (optional).
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix together the crushed ginger snaps, and butter. Press into the bottom, and about 1 inch up the sides of a 9-inch spring-form pan or regular round cake pan. I use the bottom of a measuring cup to press evenly. Bake the crust 10 minutes or so in the preheated oven. Set aside to cool. If you plan to bake the cheese cake in a water bath and use the spring-form pan, don’t forget to wrap the bottom of the pan in foil.
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar, vanilla and lemon zest until smooth. Mix the eggs in one at a time, blending well after each.
- *Set aside 1 cup of the mixture. Then blend ¼ cup of the sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice into the mixing bowl.
- Spread the pumpkin flavored batter onto the crust, and drop the plain batter by spoonfuls onto the top. Use a butter knife to get that cool swirly, marbled effect.
- Bake about 1 hour in the oven, or until filling is set. *If it starts to darken on top you can cover loosely with foil. You can run the butter knife around the edge of the cake in the pan. Allow the cake to cool before removing it from the pan. Chill for at least 2-3 hours before serving. This luscious cheese cake will keep 3-4 days in the fridge, it freezes beautifully. ~ Lisa, (lover of cake)