Divine Chocolate Cupcakes with Best Buttercream Frosting
Here’s the quintessential chocolate cupcake. Rich, dark and decadent, a chocolate lover’s dream come true. A divine cupcake, topped with a scrumptious fluffy, buttercream frosting, and a few festive sprinkles. I love this recipe, and use it often to bake cakes for birthdays (my most requested cake.) Baking your very own cupcakes (from scratch) is really fun and easy. So let’s get started, I know you can do it.
Thanks for stopping by, and don’t forget to subscribe via e-mail. Never miss another recipe…… Lisa xo
For the cupcakes…
- 2 cups flour (sub. 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 cups sugar (sub. stevia)
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- 4 Tablespoons (heaping) cocoa (unsweetened)
- 2 sticks butter (sub. Smart Balance)
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 whole beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Best Buttercream frosting:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened (sub. Smart Balance)
- 2 – 2/3 cups powdered sugar (sub. stevia)
- 2/3 cup cocoa (Ghirardelli or Special Dark)
- 5-6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cup/cakes…
Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Use cupcake papers, spray or grease cupcake, sheet pan or 2 rounds.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in cocoa.
- Add boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, remove from heat. Pour over the flour mixture, and stir lightly to combine.
- In a measuring cup, add beaten eggs, pour the *buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla.
- Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into your pan/s and bake at 350-degrees for 15-20 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.
*Tip: You can make your own buttermilk with a tablespoon of lemon or vinegar mixed in with the milk.
Method for Best Buttercream frosting …
- Beat the butter in a medium mixing bowl.
- With the mixer on low, add powdered sugar and cocoa (sift both if possible) alternately with milk, scraping sides of the bowl often. Beating until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- The fun starts here! If you want to get all fancy and use a pastry bag to “pipe” on the frosting you can buy a decorating “kit” at most super-markets or any cooking/craft store. Use the large star tip. The box will have a diagram or you can find a video if you need more instructions. Or grab a large spoon, and spoon the frosting into a plastic gallon bag, twist one of the bottom corners of the bag, now snip off about 1/8″. Now, start at the outside of the cupcake and pipe toward the center, making a circular motion (look at my photos again). You can practice this method on a plate first. Sprinkle with decorations and it’s party time!