Baked Eggplant Parmesan (Aubergine)
Here’s what’s for dinner tonight… I’m going to share with you one of my very favorite Italian meals ever! It’s to die for. Yes, this dish will change your life. For those of you who think that they don’t like eggplant. Think again! This scrumptious vegetarian dish has a delightful, delicate flavor, like no other. We’re going to bake it. Less oil = less fat = less mess. We’ll do baked chicken parmesan next week, so stay tuned… Let’s celebrate the amazing aubergine!
- olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs and/or sub. half with Panko (crunchier!)
- 3/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1 teaspoon dried or 2 tsp. fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried or 1 tsp. fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- sea salt and pepper
- 2 large eggplants, peeled (optional) sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (2 1/2 pounds)
- 6 cups chunky seasoned tomato sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Dreamfields pasta, (low-carb) get this at most any supermarket.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and cover generously with olive oil.
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 1 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon olive oil. In another bowl (or plastic gallon bag), combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, basil, garlic, crushed red pepper, season with salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture (I use a plastic gallon bag), coating well; place on baking sheets. Bake until crispy and golden brown on bottom, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn slices; continue baking until browned on other side, 20 to 25 minutes more. Remove from the oven; raise oven heat to 400 degrees.
- Arrange half the eggplant in a 9-by-13-inch greased baking dish; cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella; sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until the sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted and browned a bit, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes or so before serving. I like to serve with Dreamfields low-carb spaghetti.