Finally, Green Bean Casserole with a healthy make-over. This year, I decided to skip the classic canned cream-of-mushroom version to make it fresh and fabulous. My healthier “new” green bean casserole has light sour cream, cheddar cheese, lots fresh mushrooms, and caramelized onions. A great new holiday tradition, all the good stuff, with less fat and calories. Guaranteed to make your taste buds sing, ooh la la!
* Please feel free to ask any questions or add your comments below, I do love to read them!
* Now you can get Baked in Maine in your inbox! Click on subscribe to receive the newest recipes.
- 1 lb. French-cut green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese or parmesan (shredded)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire
- 1 can French Fried Onions or *fry your own.
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray or butter a 2 qt. casserole.
- Saute’ the mushrooms in a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, set aside. Caramelized onions with 1 tablespoon of butter, on low heat in a large frying pan (10-15 minutes). Stir in garlic, sliced green onions and the hot green beans.
- Add cheddar cheese, sour cream, mushrooms, salt, pepper and Worcestershire.
- Spoon into the buttered casserole and add the onion topping.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbly.
* If you’re making your own fried onion topping, fry some chopped onion in butter or olive oil until crisp. Stir in 1/4 cup flour until the onions are browned and crispy. Add a little salt and pepper.